Chemicals used in daily life
- Baking powder (NaHCO3) : Sodium bicarbonate is used for baking for cooking.It releases CO2 in reaction with other ingredients.
- Soap : Esters are used for bathing and washing clothes.
- Detergent (Sodium sulphate, sodium hydroxide and phosphatecompounds) : Used for washing clothes.
- Toothpaste (Calciuym carbonate, sodium flouride) : Used for cleaning teeth while brushing.
- Salt (NaCl) : Sodium Chloride is used in cooking and as preservative.
- Vinegar (C2H4O2) : Acetic acid, Ethanoic acid is used as preservative and for seasoning foods. Utilized for various household cleaning uses.
- Graphite : Carbon Used in Pencil.
- Alcohol Ethanol(C2H6O) : Used in alcoholic drinks.
- Bleaching Powder (NaOCl) : Commonly used domestic bleach. Used for cleaning purposes.
- Sugar (C12H22O11) : Sucrose is Used in cooking as sweetner.
- Aspirin (C9H8O4) : Acetyl salicylic acid is Used in various medicines.
- Mouthwash (H2O2) : hydrogen peroxide is Used for personal hygiene.
- Caustic soda (NaOH) : sodium hydroxide is a highly corrosive alkali which is used for cleaning, unblocking sinks, drains and toilets.
- Chalk(CaCO3) : calcium carbonate is Used for blackboard chalk, pavement (or, in USA, “sidewalk”) chalk, gymnastics and rock-climbing, and sometimes in toothpaste.